There are several plugins available for WordPress that can help you reduce the size of pictures and optimize them for speed. One popular plugin is WP Smush. Here’s how to use it:
- Install and activate the plugin: Go to the „Plugins“ section of your WordPress dashboard, search for „WP Smush“ and install the plugin. Once it is installed, activate it.
- Optimize existing images: Go to the „Media“ section of your WordPress dashboard, and select the images that you want to optimize. You can select multiple images by holding down the „Ctrl“ key while clicking on them. Once you have selected the images, click the „Smush“ button. This will start the optimization process.
- Optimize new images automatically: WP Smush can be configured to automatically optimize new images when you upload them to your website. To do this, go to the „Settings“ section of the plugin, and check the box next to „Automatically smush my images on upload“.
- Configure advanced settings: WP Smush also allows you to configure advanced settings such as the quality of the images, the maximum dimensions of the images, and the level of compression. These settings can be accessed by going to the „Settings“ section of the plugin.
- Monitor the optimization process: You can monitor the optimization process by going to the „Media“ section of your WordPress dashboard and checking the „Smush“ column. This will show you the status of the optimization process for each image.
It’s worth noting that the plugin will not work on some images, like images that are hosted on other servers and images that are already compressed. Also, keep in mind that some optimization process can make images lose some quality, so it’s important to test and adjust the optimization level to your desired result.